City Logo of Bautzen
aerial view of the historic city centre

History

Bautzens Geschichte im Überblick
800 BC Stone-Age settlements
3rd century AD Settlement of East-Germanic tribes
7th century AD Immigration of the "Milzener", a Slavic tribe, into this area
1002 First written mention of Bautzen as "Budusin"
1018 Peace of Bautzen between the German city and the Polish Duchy
1231 First written mention of Bautzen's town ordinances and privileges
1250 Status of a free community
1346 Foundation of the "Six-City League of Upper Lusatia" together with Goerlitz, Kamenz, Lauben, Loebau and Zittau
1391 The right to free elections of the town council is established
1400/ 1408 Revolt of the craftsmen
1429/ 1431 Hussites fail in laying siege to the city
1524 Foundation of the Protestant Church in Bautzen; The cathedral becomes an interdenominational church
1618–1648 Repeated occupations and destruction during the Thirty Year's War (disastrous city fires in 1620 / 1634)
1635 Bautzen becomes permanent part of Saxony
1707/ 1720 Devastating city fires
1813 Battles around Bautzen against Napoleon's army
1815 Termination of the "Six-City League of Upper Lusatia"
1846 The Dresden - Bautzen railway line opened
1868 "Bautzen" becomes the final and fixed German name of the city
1872 Establishment of the first German school planetarium
1888-1891 Construction of the new Maria and Martha Church at the present August-Bebel-Platz
1897-1904 Erection of the "Wendish House" (Sorbian House) - destroyed in 1945
1902 Bautzen receives the "Rietschel Gable" from the Saxon King George, which was placed on the east-gable of the town theatre
1902-1906 Construction of the judicial buildings
1904 Penal Institution of Saxony (Gelbes Elend – Yellow Misery) is officially opened
1908-1909 Construction of the Throne Prince Bridge, today known as the " Friedensbruecke" (the Bridge of Peace)
1912 Establishment of the "Domowina" as foundation of all Sorbian associations
1913 Inclusion of the village Strehla into the municipality
1915

Beginning of the Great Donations Action for the financing of World War I

1917

In Bautzen eleven church bells and secular ones are sacrificed to the cause

1920 Opening of the Spree Baths
1921 Establishment of the diocese of Meissen with its headquarters in Bautzen by pope Benedict XV. The Chapter becomes cathedral chapter and St. Peter’s Cathedral – cathedral of the diocese of Meissen
1922 Inclusion of the village Seidau into the municipality of Bautzen
1925 Establishment of the Convent of the Franciscans of the Holiest Sacrament by Bishop Christian Schreiber in Bautzen (Klosterstraße)
1928 First official Easter equestrian procession from Bautzen to Radibor since it had been a custom until the end of the 18th century
1933 Millennial celebrations on the occasion of the beginning of legal relationships between the Upper Lusatia and the German Empire, after the "Milzener", a Slavic tribe, had been subjugated
1938 Persecution of the Jews living in Bautzen and destruction of Jewish-owned businesses during the "Reich’s Crystal Night"
1944 Construction of an external camp as part of the concentration camp Gross-Rosen inside the company "Waggonbau"
1945 Fortress-like construction of the town as protection against the Allied troops near the end of the war. During the fighting, approximately 10% of the residential buildings with almost 34% of the town’s living space were destroyed. Eighteen bridges, 33 public buildings, 46 small firms and 23 larger firms were completely destroyed. It is said that approximately 6.500 soldiers from both sides fell in the battles. According to other statistics, it is said that 350 civilians were killed in Bautzen during this time.
1945–1950 The occupying power use the prison Bautzen I (situated in the street "Breitscheidstrasse") as an internment camp; records show that 2,714 people died there.
1956–1989 Those people, who were investigated by the East German secret service (MfS), are kept in custody in prison Bautzen II (Weigangstrasse)
1966–1989 7 Festivals of Sorbian culture are carried out here
1969 The old city theatre (at the Kornmarkt with gables by Rietschel) and the Reichentor (a town gate) are demolished
1973–1975 The new housing estate "Dr.- Salvador-Allende-Strasse" with 1, 500 flats is built
1974 The dam of the river Spree near Bautzen is completed
1975 The "German-Sorbian Folk Theatre" gets a new building
1977–1987 The new housing estate "Gesundbrunnen" with 5, 900 flats is built
1991 Renewed foundation of the "Six-City League of Upper Lusatia"; Establishment of the "Foundation for the Sorbian Folk"
1992 The resolution for redevelopment of the old town is passed
1994 The villages "Niederkaina" and "Stiebitz" become an area of Bautzen- city
1995 Bautzen becomes a regional administrative centre
1999 The village "Kleinwelka" becomes an area of Bautzen-city
2002 1000 year celebration of the original first historical record of the city

Straßenleben